Curriculum & Instruction
Welcome to the Curriculum and Instruction Department page. The department serves the students, teachers, and administrators of the Columbus Municipal School District by providing service and support in the areas of curriculum, instruction, assessment, and professional development.
This department is dedicated to supporting our schools in providing high quality curriculum and instruction designed to ensure all students are college and career ready. A focus on college and career readiness permeates curriculum and instruction from kindergarten through 12th grade and within all the content areas.
Muti-tiered System of Supports (MTSS)
- Multi-tiered Systems of Supports Presentation (PDF)
- MTSS Documentation Packet (PDF)
- MTSS Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- MTSS Screening Process Chart (PDF)
- RTI Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Parent Letter Tier II and III (PDF)
- Tier II and Tier III Intevention Documentation (PDF)
- Direct Instruction
- MDE K-12 Curriculum and Instruction
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Literacy-Based Promotion Act Parent Information
- Literacy-Based Promotion Act Annual Report
- Dropout Prevention Plan
The Office of Assessment oversees all district and state testing for the Columbus Municipal School District. The Offices of Assessment and Instruction also oversee data analysis from state and district assessments.
Assessments currently include:
- Mississippi Assessment Program (MAP/Questar) – English Language Arts and Math Grades 3-8 and High School English II and Algebra I
- Mississippi Science Test 2 (MST2) – Grades 5 & 8
- Subject Area Testing Program 2 (SATP2) – High School (English II, Algebra I, Biology I, U.S. History)
- Mississippi K-3 Assessment Support System (MKAS2) – Grades PreK, Kindergarten, and 3
- Mississippi Career Planning and Assessment System (MS-CPAS-2) – High school vocational education students
- American College Test (ACT) – Grade 11
- LAS Links Assessment System – Kindergarten-12th graders who have been identified as English language learners (ELLs)
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) – Grades 4 & 8 (as assigned)
- Renaissance Reading & Math Assessments (STAR) – Grades 2-10
- Renaissance Early Literacy Assessment (STAR) – Grades PreKindergarten-1
- Educational Leadership Solutions Benchmark Assessments (ELS) – Grades 2-HS subject areas
- Northwest Evaluation Association-Measures of Academic Progress (NWEA MAP) – Grades Kindergarten-10
Learning Forward Standards for Professional Learning was approved by The Commission on School Accreditation as the state standards for professional development. Columbus Municipal School District’s professional development plan follows these standards to ensure that professional learning is for educators to develop the knowledge, skills, practices, and dispositions necessary to help students perform at high levels.
CMSD has been approved to begin receiving CEUs from MUW for Wednesday PLC meetings (school level, SpEd, grade level, and gifted PLCs), T3 Sessions, Digital Learning Labs, and BloomBoard sessions.
Please note that you will need to keep up with the CMSD 2016 -2017 application form and submit it to MUW by October 1, 2017 in order to receive credit for this academic year. Requests WILL NOT be processed from the Central Office. You are responsible for submitting this information along with the $20.00 payment to MUW (address is on the form).
The maximum number of CEUs that can be earned is 5 (this includes all Wednesday PLCs, SpEd PLCs, T3 Sessions, Digital Learning Labs). The start date for earning CEUs is January 25, 2017. Credit will not be given for sessions attended prior to this date. Please note that the form must be completed in its entirety. The session titles and dates should match those on the district’s Professional Development Calendar. Only building principals, Ms. Donna Jones and Dr. Cheryl Smith (for SpEd), and Ms. Dawkins (for gifted) are authorized to sign the Time In/Out portion of the form for Wednesday PLCs. Ms. Debbie Murray will sign off on Tech Tuesday sessions.
As a reminder, 10 instructional hours equate to 1 CEU.