Columbus Municipal School District is hosting a GoOpen Regional Summit February 24, 2017.
The Summit is an opportunity to learn more about the US Department of Education’s #GoOpen initiative and will include experts in the area of Open Educational Resources from around the country and from within our region.
Open Educational Resources (OER) are defined by the Federal Department of Education as materials that can be used for teaching and learning that are online and free to use, edit, and distribute without violating copyright. The #GoOpen Campaign was designed through the Department of Education to help schools transform their educational systems through the use and creation of OERs. For more information, please visit: http://tech.ed.gov/open-education/
Audience: The #GoOpen Regional summits are intended for new districts who have recently committed to become a #GoOpen Launch district or are curious about making a scalable transition to openly licensed educational resources. The day is also designed for #GoOpen Ambassador districts who have done some work on making this transition and can offer to facilitate one or more of the workshops throughout the day. We are encouraging districts to send administrators, teachers, librarians, and media techs.
#GoOpen Summit Goals:
- District leaders will be able to reliably distinguish between and identify the advantages, disadvantages, limitations, and tradeoffs of open, free, CC licensing
- Define and identify examples/proof points through the Story Engine in order to visualize the variety of #GoOpen entry points and plans
- Become familiar with #GoOpen Launch Packet and identify the readiness of each district and where they are in the process
- Showcase work of Ambassador districts through conversations and presentations
- Develop mentor and peer relationships between districts and between districts and state leaders that lead to long term collaboration.
Register For #GoOpen HERE
List Of Presenters: Click this link to see presenter names and session topics.
Publication in Proceedings and Filming
During the conference, different talks may be filmed and made available online. Presentation slides and papers will be available after the conference.
About Columbus, Mississippi, The Friendly City
- Golden Triangle Regional Airport (GTR), Columbus, MS – approximately 12 miles from downtown Columbus – Delta only connections (all jet) through Atlanta – http://gtra.com/
- Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN) – Jackson, MS – approimately 15o miles from Columbus – http://iflyjackson.ms/iflyjackson/passenger-services/
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM), Birmingham, AL – appromimately 125 miles from Columbus – http://www.flybirmingham.com/flying-out/flight-information/